With the ability to filter your search by location, you can find the nearest and most suitable rehab facilities in your county or city. Verifying insurance for addiction treatment is also crucial to avoid unexpected financial challenges during the recovery process. One of the primary reasons why alcohol causes brain fog is due to its interference with the brain’s neurotransmitters, which are responsible for transmitting signals throughout the brain. The imbalanced neurotransmitters caused by alcohol disrupt the communication between neurons, leading to brain fog.
The smoke will clear in due time and your noggin will be back in shape before you know it, especially with the help of these brain-boosting practices. Brain fog is one of the many consequences caused by excessive alcohol and substance abuse. Following addiction, this common symptom generally co-occurs with several other symptoms in the stage of recovery after acute withdrawal, known as Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS). Living with even occasional brain fog can be disruptive to anyone’s life.
Causes of Brain Fog
Boost your cognition and productivity with personalized nootropic formulas from Thesis to activate every kind of brain. Dr. He adds to also seek medical attention if symptoms worsen or begin without any obvious cause. Thesis formulas are backed by the latest research to ensure they meet your body’s needs efficiently and are third party lab tested to help you feel alcohol brain fog more motivated, increase focus and raise your energy level. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that adults ages 18 to 60 aim for at least seven hours per night, although the ideal amount of sleep varies from person to person. Infants, young children and teenagers should get more sleep in order to support growth and development.
- “I’ve seen cases where I wouldn’t recognize a patient based on how they’re acting.” Brain damage (and symptoms like brain fog) can also be caused by cirrhosis of the liver, another common complication of long-term, heavy drinking.
- It can be difficult to diagnose alcohol-related brain damage (ARBD) so it’s important to know what to look out for.
- Brain fog is a general, non-medical term used to describe a subjective sense of cognitive impairment that may manifest in a number of ways.
- It can be caused by a number of different factors, including alcohol addiction.
- If you want to learn more about brain fog and how to clear it effectively, check out these helpful and educational articles and feel free to join this online community of brain health enthusiasts.
However, even switching up the way you go about familiar daily tasks will challenge your brain and help pull you out of autopilot. For instance, try brushing your teeth with the opposite https://ecosoberhouse.com/ hand for a week, read a book that’s not your go-to genre, or take a different route to work. Think of it as retraining a muscle group for a specific type of physical exercise.
What to know about alcohol and brain damage
Dr. Whitmer reminds that brain fog is not a condition but rather a cluster of symptoms that is temporary, while dementia points to damage in the brain that is permanent and progressive. If you’ve ever spent a night tossing and turning only to feel bleary-eyed and struggling to power through the next day, you likely understand the powerful connection between sleep and cognitive function. Keep reading for common causes of brain fog, including ways to treat it and when it might be time to seek professional help. Adolescent brains are more vulnerable to the negative effects of alcohol than adult brains.